Re: cyborgs & ghosts

From: Chris Capel (pdf23ds@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 24 2005 - 14:04:57 MDT

On 10/24/05, Pope Salmon the Lesser Mungojelly <rainbow@beautywood.org> wrote:
> More and more
> intelligence will be embedded in the systems around us, and we will
> emotionally feel ourselves to be deeply interrelated with that
> intelligence.

I think, as far as human intelligence augmentation goes, this sort of
thing will yield much more fruit much sooner than fully GAI
assistants, and so it'd be nice to see what others think of this
direction of progress. Specifically, I have in mind things like
wearables that are able to keep track of what and when your activities
are; manage your nutrition, circadian rhythms, and some hormones, keep
track of your social interactions, your task list, and the state of
various information feeds you're subscribed to; do background data
mining based on your interests and recent activity, and other
low-level AI (or even simpler) tasks. Ideally, it would be able to
detect your mood to know whether you're in especial need of certain
kinds of exercise or relaxation or entertainment in order to stay in
peak condition.

And a related question: Do the sort of intelligent agents that would
drive these systems pose any takeoff risk?

Chris Capel

--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"