Re: cyborgs & ghosts (was Re: AGI motivations (Sidetrack on Uploading))

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 13:47:16 MDT

> Long before we have the ability to upload, we'll
> have the ability to
> replace even higher/inner parts of the brain.
> Electronic brain modules
> will be sold as "treatments" for people with
> strokes, for instance. The
> result will be people who are very deeply jacked in.

Another approach, that doesn't require surgery, is
to have an interface for each of your senses (VR
glasses coupled with cameras for visions, microphone/
earphone for hearing, etc.).This would be coupled
to a lot of computing power.

The computing power builds and refines a model of you
as you live your life, by trying to match your
actual outputs (speech, actions) to the model outputs.
When the meat dies, if the model is good enough, it
becomes you - taking actions for real rather than
just a model output.

Daniel

http://farechase.yahoo.com