Re: physics of uploading minds

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 12:19:34 MDT

--- Phillip Huggan <cdnprodigy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any literature that the process of
> uploading, formatting one's individual mind upon a
> substrate other than one's brain, will actually
> work?

Maybe there is, but here's an experiment to try:

Take a small creature, like the worm that researchers
like to experiment with that has ~900 neurons in it's
neural system.

Scan the neural system in high
resolution. An example of high resolution is
making microtome slices a micron thick each, then
scanning for neural patterns in each slice, then
restacking the slices electronically. Another
example is using a scanning electron or tunneling
microscope. You ablate an atomic layer at a time
and rescan until you have the entire thing done.

Use the scans to build an eletcronic model of the
neural system. Feed the model stimuli and see if it
acts like the original worm.

Repeat with larger and larger creatures. If the
models respond like the original, we can guess that
the uploads work.

Daniel

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs