Re: physics of uploading minds.

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 11:15:29 MDT

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 "Heartland" <velvethum@hotmail.com>

> Consciousness is a product of mind.

Intelligence is the way matter reacts when it is organized in certain
complex ways, and consciousness must be an inevitable byproduct of
intelligence, otherwise random mutation and natural selection would
never have bothered to produce it.

Consciousness is an adverb, I am the way matter reacts when it is
organized in a johnkclarkian way; apparently there is only one lump of
matter in the universe organized in that way but there is no reason that
must always be true.

> Minds exist inside brains

Inside? You may feel like you are inside 3 pounds of grey goo that is
inside a dome made of bone but I don’t subjectively feel like that at
all, and if we’re talking about minds then subjectivity is the name of
the game.

> which are physical objects whose locations can be described in terms of space-time coordinates.

Translation: Things have a time and place.
Ok. So what? Adverbs are not things.

> Consciousness is simply where the brain is.

But we are not conscious of it. Huh?

John K Clark

                          love email again