Re: physics of uploading minds.

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 11:56:07 MDT

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 "Phillip Huggan"

> The upload cannot be traced back to the original
> if a way is not shown for the activities of the
> copy's central nervous system to be a causal
> contact with the original.

Obviously, but if the original were different then the resulting copy
would be different; or to put it another way, the original caused the
copy to be the way it is.

> In simulating the synapse activities of a
> single neuron, one would have to have an
> accurate simulation of the rest of the brain
> to properly model or engineer the biological
> neurons and synapses which would affect the
> synapses of the robo-neuron. This is circular reasoning.

Determine the velocity and location of every molecule in a neuron to the
accuracy Hinesburg allows and then use that information to make a
duplicate neuron, and then snap it into place in a flash. Actually
something very much like that happens every day of our lives as the
atoms in out brains are constantly being recycled.

> The smallest pattern losses, or more accurately
> differences in chemical or quantum states,
> will propogate throughout the system very
> quickly and eliminate identity.

Taking a sip of coffee will change your brain far more profoundly than
the tiny stuff you’re talking about, taking a nap will change it even
more.

John K Clark