Re: physics of uploading minds.

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 12:27:37 MDT

To clarify, my position here is that copying the quantum states or perhaps even a coarser resloution is sufficient to engineer sentience, regardless if one models it from an existing being or not. But even copying an original mind's brain states down to a Planck length resolution is insufficient to affect personal identity. The latter requires a deeper engineering expertise.

Atoms in our brains naturally being recycled in replaced do not affect identity
because there is more to configuration of matter/energy than knowing 4D atom co-ordinates. The fields and forces that give rise to atoms comprising a mind must also be replicated for uploading to work. Perhaps if an entire mind could be quantum-entangled with an uploaded mind... Every mass/energy component in your brain is connected in many different ways to a whole bunch of other non-local mass energy components in the universe. I know the last sentence sounds like new-age crap.

fudley <fuddley@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 "Phillip Huggan"

> In simulating the synapse activities of a
> single neuron, one would have to have an
> accurate simulation of the rest of the brain
> to properly model or engineer the biological
> neurons and synapses which would affect the
> synapses of the robo-neuron. This is circular reasoning.

Determine the velocity and location of every molecule in a neuron to the
accuracy Hinesburg allows and then use that information to make a
duplicate neuron, and then snap it into place in a flash. Actually
something very much like that happens every day of our lives as the
atoms in out brains are constantly being recycled.