Consciousness (Re: JOIN)

From: Woody Long (ironanchorpress@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Oct 29 2005 - 15:11:23 MDT

a self.

>By "self" I mean that focalizing agent exposed in the dual sound source
> >experiment. The subject had earphones on. On one side was played a
> >conversation, on the other was played another. What was revealed is
> that the subject could only attend to and remember one sound source at a
> time. It was impossible to attend to both. So the root of consciousness
was a
> >focalizing agent, or self, that has no option but to switch its
focalizing
> >attention to one single source or the other. But therein arises the
phenomenon of choice, of motivational autonomy. This self also refers to
itself as "I" and
> >has personal memory of this I's unique experiences.

>This self is the focalizing agent of consciousness, and so must be
included in any artificial consciousness.

> Identity and a sense of self is not a necessary prerequisite for an
> artificial mind. The idea that it is comes from human inability to see
> past our own identities - we feel like focalized agents and can't see
> how any intelligence would function without a self too.

I didn't say "focalized agents," I said focalizing agents. The root of
consciousness was shown to be a focalizing agent, or self, that has no
option but to switch its focalizing attention to one single source or the
other. But therein arises the phenomenon of choice, of motivational
autonomy, and of the manifestation of natural human life. And by this same
process is created human artificial life, i.e., post-contempory conscious
computer systems. The difference is the difference between a natural, real
flower and a silk flower. The silk flower looks, smells, and feels like a
real flower, but it is made of a difference substance, of non-living silk
material.

The experiment with the sounds shows more about the operations of our
auditory system than it does that the root of consciousness is a self.

My position is that the Dual Sound Source Experiment is all we need, in our
mission to build android industry standards concerning the artificial self.
The clear fact is that the auditory system is not controlling the observed
effect. It is not the left ear and/or right ear auditory system that is
making the choice to attend to one ear or the other. The fact is, the
subject can attend to WHICHEVER one he chooses, and this leads to the
practical conclusion that there is a focalizing agent or self that is
controlling the conscious effect, as the root of consciousness.

And so an android should have, by industry standard, an artificial self,
that is aware of its unique self and personal history, refers to itself as
I., and functions as the root of artificial consciousness. And this is the
practical point and my central interest, since I hold an "essential patent"
for this industry. This is a legal term meaning the corporations involved
in the industry can't build an android robot using industry standards
without infringing on this patent.

Woody Long
www.artificial-lifeforms-lab.blogspot.com