Re: Chimps may lack altruism

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 10:10:27 MST

> Basically, these folks did experiments indicating that chimps will
> not
> behave altruistically, i.e. they don't want to carry out actions that
> benefit other chimps if no benefit comes to themselves in the
> process.
>
> -- Ben G

Caution - the experiments were performed with chimps in cages.
I think this says little about what chimps would do in the wild.
Animals who are not raised in the wild are often neurotic.
I also think that a similar experiment carried out in a human
prison, with no chance for repayment, might have a similar result.

- Phil

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs