Re: Sensory modalities and the possibility of semi-arbitrary additions

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 05 2005 - 01:44:44 MST

On 11/4/05, Pope Salmon the Lesser Mungojelly <rainbow@beautywood.org>
wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree with the premises of this conversation, though. Why
> would we need to put more I/O on the human brain at this point? That
> doesn't seem like the bottleneck to me. Humans have hardly anything else
> except I/O. Declarative memory, that's a bottleneck.

He's right.

Hands up everyone here who's bothered learning to speed-read. I'm going to
guess one, maybe two hands will be raised. How many still use it on a
regular basis? One of the two hands, I suspect, goes down.

We have lots of I/O bandwidth already (as long as you're not suffering from
carpal tunnel syndrome - if you are, or have done, ask for a soft touch
keyboard or whatever is the right phrase to use; if anyone knows what is,
please let me know).

The bottleneck is using it.

- Russell