Nonlocal correlations between separated neural networks

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Sun Nov 06 2005 - 13:46:35 MST

FWIW, some old news:

From: Proceedings of SPIE -- Volume 5436
Quantum Information and Computation II, Eric Donkor, Andrew R. Pirich,
Howard E. Brandt, Editors, August 2004, pp. 107-117

Nonlocal correlations between separated neural networks

Rita Pizzi and Andrea Fantasia
Fabrizio Gelain
Danilo Rossetti
Angelo Vescovi

(published online Sep. 3, 2004)

In recent times the interest for quantum models of brain activity has
rapidly grown. The Penrose-Hameroff model assumes that microtubules
inside neurons are responsible for quantum computation inside brain.
Several experiments seem to indicate that EPR-like correlations are
possible at the biological level. In the past year , a very intensive
experimental work about this subject has been done at DiBit Labs in
Milan, Italy by our research group. Our experimental set-up is made by
two separated and completely shielded basins where two parts of a common
human DNA neuronal culture are monitored by EEG. Our main experimental
result is that, under stimulation of one culture by means of a 630 nm
laser beam at 300 ms, the cross-correlation between the two cultures
grows up at maximum levels. Despite at this level of understanding it is
impossible to tell if the origin of this non-locality is a genuine
quantum effect, our experimental data seem to strongly suggest that
biological systems present non-local properties not explainable by
classical models.

(c)2004 COPYRIGHT SPIE--The International Society for Optical
Engineering. Downloading of the abstract is permitted for personal use
only.