Opinion Shock? was Re: Semi-OT: Past Shock

From: Randall Randall (randall@randallsquared.com)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 00:05:37 MST

On Nov 7, 2005, at 1:33 AM, Robin Lee Powell wrote:

> It seems to me that being at SL3/4 long enough, without enough
> interaction with the SL0 world, might often lead to this sort of
> thing, which I'm arbitrarily dubbing "past shock". Maybe "present
> shock" is better, though.

This is a more general phenomenon, rather than something
peculiar to "shock levels". The internet has made it very
easy to associate only with those people who hold opinions
very like your own (on any given subject), and this can
produce a sense of unreality about other views when you
encounter them. This was especially clear just after the
last US presidential election, in blogs and so forth.

There may be a need for a term referencing this, but
tying it to the specific opinions in question (SL*)
is too narrow.

--
Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
"Perhaps the real obstacle to the widespread adoption of CL is that