Re: Extrapolated volition: oops

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 11:59:07 MST

On 11/10/05, Michael Wilson <mwdestinystar@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> When people pick three common English words that are supposed to contain
> the secret of safely navigating the Singularity

*Ahem*

I don't know who supposes that three words contain the secret of safely
navigating the Singularity, but it certainly isn't me! I picked them in the
context of a document where I gave a specific proposal, with further details
in a followup discussion. By all means criticize domain protection - I wrote
it up so that people could kick it around and criticize it and look for
flaws in it, and I'm certainly open to better ideas - but one thing you
can't claim I've done is just offer three words by way of strategy. _Of
course_ a one line slogan by itself is useless.

> That said, feel free to translate your three words into a detailed
> description that actually imposes strong objective constraints on the
> actions of whoever you think should build the FAI.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~russell12/dp.html is what I have at the moment.

Indeed, if past
> history is anything to go by it's going to be an uphill struggle to
> be understood even if you're an excellent writer and write a book
> length description.

And given that neither of those things applies to me, it's just as well I'm
not optimistic about the whole being understood thing :)
- Russell