MNT computers for AGI

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 17:00:25 MST

I came out of yesterday's sl4 chat confused. I had previously believed that MNT and AGI were mostly exclusive. An AGI might develop MNT early on as a mean to fulfill ver goals. And MNTed computers could brute-force an AGI relatively easily by a knowledgeable research team.

But yesterday I got the impression that some people believed AGI would be nearly impossible without MNT computing resources. I had previously believed a warehouse of servers circa 2015 might suffice to permit seed AI. Could I get some opinions on this? I am finishing an essay and need to know if AGI might reasonably be enabled in the absence of radical accelerations of Moore's Law, in the decades ahead.