Re: IQ - A cautionary tale (Re: The ways of child prodigies)

From: Martin Striz (mstriz@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 11 2005 - 00:13:19 MST

On 11/11/05, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tennessee@tennessee.id.au> wrote:
> That is also different in Australia.

Actually I retract my retraction and stand by my original statement.
The Mensa (International) web site clearly states that the
organization exists "to identify and foster human intelligence for the
benefit of humanity" as its first goal, ahead of "to promote
stimulating intellectual and social opportunities for its members." I
also know that the founders had this purpose in mind, and read
somewhere that on the 50th anniversary, one of the founders said that
he still had hope it might turn in that direction in the future.
That's backed up by lots of commentary in the (American) Mensa
Bulletins that I have and can dig up.

Martin