RE: 'The Revenge of Geddes'! - New Theory Of Everything! Ha!

From: pdugan (pdugan@vt.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 11:55:26 MST

This post is way too lenghthy to respond to line by line, but I think theres
enough interesting content here that it warrants a response, even if I'm the
only one that thinks so.

The conceptual framework laid out here (which is really a meta-conceptual
framework of three interacting frameworks) is probably better suited to a more
limited application than an AGI, such as an interactive storytelling engine.
In that context the math, memes, material trichotomy makes sense, as you could
imagine an interactive environment being composed of the interaction between
those three data-types. The jump from IS engine to AGI is pretty huge,
however, if you include the assumption that any model, even a clever
meta-model, will break down as it scales out to the entirety of reality.

I think the concept of multi-dimensional time, while intersting as a
metaphore, is built on a faulty premise. If you read Peter Lynd's papers on
time and consciousness ( http://philsci-archive.pitt.edu/archive/00001197/ and
http://cogprints.org/3125/ ) you may come to the conclusion that framing these
things in terms of time is a way to lose before you've even begun, since the
concept of time arose from physical uncertainties associated with our brains'
functioning, and is essentially paradoxical.

As far as volition goes, the assumption that there is a divergence between
morality and physicality is also somewhat faulty, if you consider bioquantum
views of brain function it would seem that even the mystery of volition can be
encompassed by quantum mechanics. Memes, as it were, are not abstract things
that are "out-there", but electrical patterns dependant on material substrates
and constrained by the laws of physics.

I think a good rule of thumb when considering a TOE is that simplicity may
just emerge out of one's complex ponderings, and that if you have to describe
the universe in elaborate dimensionality, you're probably missing something
deeper. Plenty of threads have been devoted to that issue, but its just my
intuition in this case.

As far as the Reimann Hypothesis goes, I'd bet a bottle of wine that quantum
gravity theory would come out of an adequate proof, and not the other way
around.

   Still, very interesting Marc.

   Peace, Patrick Dugan