Re: Einstein, Edison, & IQ

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 08:00:31 MST

justin corwin wrote:

> SIAI contains basically Eliezer (who isn't known to have done any
> software development) and M Wilson, who has, and is listed as an
> associate researcher, and seems to be fairly active. I have no
> details, but his blog and such doesn't mention any other engineers on
> staff that I recall.

I certainly know how to program a computer, and I've been doing so since
the age of 5. Full-time programming... just in 1997 and 1998, if I
recall correctly. (Language: C++; OS: Mac 7.5.) I would say that I
thought I was pretty good, but I know full well that kind of
self-evaluation is almost completely useless. I made project-strategy
mistakes that someone with twenty years of programming experience would
not have made, like spending too much time optimizing things that didn't
need to be fast. But I can surely think in code. I don't credit that
an AGI theorist could exist without being able to think in code, even
though AGI is not at all the same skill as coding.