Re: Singularity Fiction

From: Brian Atkins (brian@posthuman.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 17:39:31 MST

Besides what's already been mentioned, here's some not for free, not always SL4,
but I find them fun:

Lady of Mazes, sort-of sequel of Ventus (no need to read this first really).

Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained pair. It does have a SI, and mentioned the word
Singularity once...

Ian M Banks & Damien Broderick of hereabouts have some stuff.

Oh, and don't forget the Golden Age trilogy from John C Wright.

Slipping into non-Singularity:

Some good action-oriented stuff by Neal Asher.

Collapsium & the Wellstone trilogy from McCarthy. I'm in the middle of this, no
SIs so far, but lots of fun programmable matter, neutronium, black holes, and
faxable folks.

Scott Westerfeld's Risen Empire two-parter for some space battles, more
programmable matter, and immortality conspiracies.

Aristoi (been so long don't remember much of this, but that I liked it)

Cyberpunk dystopic stuff for when you really really have nothing else...

Stuff on my list to try:

Dread Empire's Fall series from Walter Jon Williams

Reality Dysfunction series from Hamilton

Geodesica : Ascent

Recursion, Capacity by Tony Ballantyne

Ring - Stephen Baxter

More Ian M. Banks likely

Not my fave, but maybe Pushing Ice and some stuff from Alastair Reynolds

--
Brian Atkins
http://www.intelligence.org/