discussing the singularity (was Re: Why the Spike did not happen)

From: Chris Capel (pdf23ds@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 14:01:59 MST

On 12/4/05, Stuart, Ian <Ian.Stuart@woolpert.com> wrote:

> >Ambient Irony <http://ai.mu.nu/archives/2104/01/forever_in_a_dr.php>:
>
> Yes, I tried to add some common sense and common knowledge to the comments of that post back in September.
> I do not know why it remains the top of the list when one searches for "technological singularity" on Google's blog search.
>
> I have since begun debating the use of combatting ignorance in all of the myriad places that it crops up. Perhaps the singularity needs a Foresight like cheerleading organization to do some PR and rumor control, but again, I am not certain of the cost to benefit ratio of such an undertaking.

I hold rather low opinions of the usefulness of blog/mailing list
discussions in general, as compared to what's possible using even
current web technology. I'm going to start discussing this on my blog.
I have a summary/index post here:

http://pdf23ds.net/what-is-debate-modeling/

Before and beyond that, I think a more effective use of effort than
participating in hostile blog discussions is building the visibility
of singularity-friendly blogs, either by running or contributing to
one, or linking to it in comments or blog posts.

Chris Capel

--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"