META: Re: Fwd: Transhumanist Community

From: Tennessee Leeuwenburg (tennessee@tennessee.id.au)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 17:58:00 MST

I agree with this post insofar as marketing is a goal.

However, I like mailing lists a lot more than forums, and the sl4
archives are available for anyone who wants to read them.

I doubt that I would follow the discussions if I could not have them
arrive as emails, and reply from my mail client. The forums vs mailing
lists argument is an old one, and I think it's a mistake to think that
either is a Final Solution.

If it is the goal of this list to achieve a greater marketing impact,
then pursuing some kind of marketing strategy is a good idea. Myself, I
think it's an interesting list to be a part of as it is. I'm just here
for the ride, folks. I came to eat, not to cook. I enjoy making an
occasional contribution, being exposed to new ideas, and as AI
technology has an increasing impact on the world I am sure this is
exactly the right group of people to be talking to about what that means.

As far as sl4 is concerned, I don't see any single agenda which is being
pushed, other than awareness of the complexity of issues.

I agree with the beneficial nature of having a blog for passers-by to
interact with, but disagree with the importance (and value) of moving
from mailing lists to a forums. Possibly some kind of rationalisation of
the available mailing lists would be reasonable, but I see no great need
to force it. Perhaps someone could set up an aggregation list, which
sends and recieves to/from a set of lists, then people who were
interested in interacting with the full gamut of viewpoints could do so,
but that may cause more problems than it solves.

Cheers,
-T