Re: An evolutionary strategy for AGI

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 13:08:35 MST

Then we must begin to understand biological computation at the
pre-neurological level. If bacteria do indeed use a form of quantum
computation then we need to understand this process. If it
 turns out to be true that quantum computation is going on at the
pre-neurological level then Roger Penrose might be right after all (with the
whole quantum tunneling micotubules thing), and we will have to master this
form of computation before we can functionaly emulate the human brain's
software. I would suggest that we start by completely reverse engineering a
bacterium. This might mean building it one protein at a time. If we can do
this succsesfully then we will be well on our way. On the other hand if the
notion of quantum computation in bacteria is just a load of non-sense (as it
may be) then we could just skip over this rung in the ladder and go straight
to the the most promordial organism that actually has neurons and begin
there.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson