RE: AGI w/ NO goals

From: pdugan (pdugan@vt.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 15:33:10 MST

I don't know how I feel about goals. On one hand, I have a sort of goal
hierarchy I pursue in my life, one that I take fairly seriously. On the other
hand, I find in my experience that the finest moments of consciousness are
when I'm not occupied with a goal, and I think apprecaiting that is a key to
having good discretion in one's actions. Its possible that this principle goes
for AGI's without explicit goal systems, and its also possible for goals to
"emerge", for a lack of a better word, from its reasoning, pattern learning
and general interactions with its environment. This isn't allowed in
Yudkowskian FAI, but maybe a goaless AGI would be a way to marginalize the
risk of hard take-off. Tremendous benifits could still be gained by prompting
the AGI interactively and learning/improving as a species based on that
interaction. As an analogy, consider the perspective that, for all intents and
purposes, an SAI is functionally a deity; would you rather have a diety with
an adgenda prompting it to radical action, or a deity willing to be as
indirect and unobvious as possible. Then the people who catch on will start
the transhuman improvement thing going, while society takes the overall
transition at a reasonable pace, maybe a decade.

   Patrick