Re: List of envisioned global catastrophic risks

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 16:05:50 MST

I was an astrophysics major in college. The correct
terms
are meteoroid while it is in space, meteor when it is
bright
entering the atmosphere, and meteorite when what is
left
is found on the ground.

Bolides (note spelling) are particularly bright and
long
lasting meteors, possibly with audible effects.

Meteoroids are small particles that approach the
Earth.
Big objects in solar orbit are called asteroids. I
don't
know if there is an official size limit, but I have
seen
20 meter objects passing close to the Earth described
as
asteroids. Anything much bigger than that would
certainly
be in the asteroid class.

The largest object in the inner asteroid belt - 1
Ceres -
is 1000 km in diameter. There are arguments over
whether
Pluto should be considered a planet or merely the
largest
of the Kuiper Belt objects which exist in the area
just
outside Neptune's orbit.

Daniel

to call a