Re: Is furthering your own goals always good? Judged by whom, and for what purpose?

From: 1Arcturus (arcturus12453@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 11:11:39 MST

Jef Allbright <jef@jefallbright.net> wrote: We all recognize examples of specific knowledge that may not
contribute to specific problem cases. We also recognize that some
knowledge can lead one away from optimum approaches to problem cases.
Our knowledge is fundamentally imperfect and incomplete, but the
question is whether increasingly objective knowledge *tends to*
increase capability to promote an agent's values, and thus this
tendency toward increasing knowledge is necessarily good (from the
point of view of the agent.)

- Jef

  Trying to stay alive and be as happy as possible involves dealing with one specific problem case after another, and the problems can be unpredicted/unpredictable.

  Maybe - try to invert this deductive capstone into an inductive question: why do humans such as yourself (and myself) value general knowledge?

  gej

Yahoo! Shopping