Re: Please Re-read CAFAI

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 10:35:25 MST

I can't really say I disagree with much you've said here. I guess my point
was just that consciousness could turn out to be a necessary emergent
property of any sufficiently intelligent system.
To answer your question all that I mean by consciousness is the phenomenal
awareness of qualia, and by self conscious the phenomenal awareness of a
self. (I think Hume refutes himself on this point). Descartes's cogito is
really the only place from which to begin a rational discussion in my
opinion but this is off topic. The next issue I wish to address is your
stipulation that evolution is an intelligent process. Evolution does not act
according to a goal system which means that it is neither intelligent nor
conscious. Of course if one believes in some sort of theism then one would
say that evolution was exactly an intelligent process. I remain agnostic on
this point because I don't believe the possibility can be ruled out. At any
rate nature has only produced one entity that we know of with General
Intelligence and that is man. Man is a conscious and self-aware being. So it
is not to much of a stretch to suppose that consciousness and intelligence
are related.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson