Re: SIAI & Kurweil's Singularity

From: 1Arcturus (arcturus12453@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Dec 16 2005 - 09:12:40 MST

Samantha Atkins <sjatkins@gmail.com> wrote:
  It is an interesting question whetheter an SAI can be trusted more or less than a radically augmented human being. To date the more intelligent and otherwise more capable instance of human being are not particularly more trustworthy than other humans
  If an SAI is designed by humans, it will indirectly carry on human directionalities, so trusting the SAI will be, in an indirect way, still just trusting humans,

  And what else *should* we trust? Trusting an alien entity, with random characteristics?

  Humans are the most untrustworthy species on earth, except for every other species. I believe humans should trust themselves - not any one person, or any one group, but all of us together, putting our heads together the best we can. Humanity trusting humanity, as we take the step forward of augmenting ourselves and merging with technology. We'll figure it all out - muddling through as always.

  If there were truly some evil core in humans that made us all untrustworthy, then no one could be trusted to design an SAI, and no one could trust any SAI designed by a human, and humans should just throw in the towel now. Join the voluntary human extinction movement. But this would be wrong - humans have made general, overall progress over the years, although slowly. We just need more time, and better tools, and we will overcome the problems of the past.

  gej