Re: KARDASHEV SCALE

From: Peter de Blanc (peter.deblanc@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Dec 22 2005 - 19:19:39 MST

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 15:56 -0800, Jef Allbright wrote:
> Suggest you search the SL4 archives and SL4 wiki which contain
> previous discussion on the Kardashev scale. I also recommend John
> Smart's _Answering the Fermi Paradox_
> http://accelerating.org/articles/answeringfermiparadox.html
> which is very close to my own view.

My objection to this scenario is that it neglects the possibility of
altruistic intervention. If the civilization next to you is suffering
some major problems (e.g. mortality), would you be okay with
transcending, leaving them behind to die?

If expansion costs you almost nothing, why wouldn't you lend a hand to
anyone else?