Re: Actually, Psycholgical Bulletin is a mainstream publication

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2005 - 17:35:34 MST

Jeff,

I have to reply, because you have both filled your post with egregiously
false statements and tried to use these to impune my credibity. I am
allergic to people who try to distort the truth in order to defame
others. In future, please check your facts a little deeper than a
superficial glance at a website.

First, I base my remarks about Susan Blackmore's work in parapsychology on:
     (1) Her own statements to me back in the mid-80s, when she said she
was fed up with the field and had no intention of doing any more
experimental work in it.

     (2) Remarks like this on her website: "I am no longer doing
research on out-of-body and near-death experiences, parapsychology, and
alien abductions, but see below for publications on these topics."

     (3) The comments and opinions of other parapsychologists who have
spent the last couple of decades doing experiments. Among these people,
her work is NOT highly respected. I will explain why in a moment.

Let's quickly go over the publications she cites on her website (I
notice that you tell us we will find amazing proof of my incompetence
there, so I think we should take a look, don't you?).

She lists these categories of research, on her website at the page
http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/research.htm:

Consciousness
     - Three speculative papers dismissing consciousness.
Memes
     - THIS IS NOT PARAPSYCHOLOGY.
Zen
     - THIS IS NOT PARAPSYCHOLOGY.
Parapsychology
     - ONE PAPER WHICH IS AN OPINION PIECE ON THE SUBJECT.
Lucid Dreams
     - THIS IS NOT PARAPSYCHOLOGY.
Near-Death Experiences
     - Speculative paper: NO EMPIRICAL RESEARCH
Out-of-body Experiences
     - A paper on her own experience of an NDE.
Paranormal belief
     - Speculative paper: NO EMPIRICAL RESEARCH
Alien abductions
     - THIS IS NOT PARAPSYCHOLOGY.

If you now turn to her more detailed listing of publications, you will
notice that the vast majority of them are either in one of the headings
that I have marked as not parapsychology, or they are superficial,
speculative critiques that contain no original data.

Sometimes she tries to analyse other people's data, but in at least some
of those cases she commits errors that were severely criticised by
full-time experimental psychologists.

In all of this work there is a pattern, and it is a pattern that she
told me she would adopt, and she did: she sees her role as a full-time
critic of the field. I am sure that she thinks her criticisms are
valuable science, but the parapsycholgists whose work I know and respect
find her comments to be filled with vapid speculation.

THE ISSUE THAT YOU AND I ARE IN DISPUTE ABOUT is whether Sue Blackmore
was "formerly one of the top parapsychologists," as you claimed. She
did some empirical work in the early 80s, as I stated, and then she
explictly chose to stop doing serious research and instead become a
popularist, a commentator and critic, and a repackager of her already
existing opinions.

She is an extremely skilled paper-generator, but among those who
actually do the science, you don't get to be a "top parapsychologist" by
simply criticising the field in non-specific terms for 20 years.

If you dispute this, please assemble a list of all the publications that
she has done since, say 1985, which (a) are in parapsychology, and (b)
involve original empirical work.

You might also, while you are at it, ask some parapsychologists
themselves how highly regarded she is.

Richard Loosemore