Re: Attempt to put Paranormal discussion in context

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 01 2006 - 16:14:00 MST

On 1/1/06, Damien Broderick wrote:
> Here's a fairly recent summary by a physics Nobel laureate and a
> professional statistician:
>
> http://anson.ucdavis.edu/~utts/azpsi.html

Of course the Utts report has been criticised in turn.
These reports and counter reports seem to go on for ever.

<http://www.csicop.org/si/9603/claims.html>
------
Although Utts and I -- in our capacities as coevaluators of the
Stargate project -- evaluated the same set of data, we came to very
different conclusions.
------
Utts points to consistencies in effect sizes across the studies. More
important, she points out several patterns such as bigger effect sizes
with experienced subjects, etc. I do not have time or space to detail
all the problems with these apparent consistencies. Many of them
happen to relate to the fact that the average effect sizes in these
cases are arbitrary combinations of heterogeneous sources. Moreover,
where Utts detects consistencies, I find inconsistencies.
------
And so on.......

BillK