Sheldrake

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 13:02:04 MST

We're getting waaaaay off topic here, but at least the following *does*
involve computers. :)

At 02:38 PM 1/2/2006 -0500, Richard Loosemore wrote:

>I will take this opportunity to step in and say that I have not been
>impressed by the quality of Sheldrake's work at all. I would never put
>him forward as a shining example of good science. This, from reading his
>early stuff and from listening to him at one conference.

Absolutely agreed. But for anyone vexed by the paucity of psi papers in
mainstream journals, there might be some fun in accessing this, just
published in PERCEPTUAL AND MOTOR SKILLS:

<http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/Telepathy/email_telepathy.html>http://www.sheldrake.org/papers/Telepathy/email_telepathy.html

TESTING FOR TELEPATHY IN CONNECTION WITH E-MAILS

by Rupert Sheldrake and Pamela Smart

SUMMARY

This study investigated possible telepathic communication in connection
with e-mails. On each trial, there were four potential e-mailers, one of
whom was selected at random by the experimenter. One minute before a
prearranged time at which the e-mail was to be sent, the participant
guessed who would send it. 50 participants (29 women and 21 men) were
recruited through an employment web site. Of 552 trials, 235 (43%) guesses
were hits, significantly above the chance expectation of 25%. Further tests
with 5 participants (4 women, 1 man, ages 16 to 29) were videotaped
continuously. On the filmed trials, the 64 hits of 137 (47%) were
significantly above chance.