Re: testing psi

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (
Date: Mon Jan 02 2006 - 21:39:24 MST

Damien Broderick wrote:
>> I withdraw my "It takes money to psi make money" qualifier as well.
>> This million seems pretty easy to reach, even allowing psi researchers
>> to set the preconditions.
> No, sadly. Randi, unlike professional parapsychologists, is not a
> scientist, he is a showman. If you think his offer is genuine, you're
> more gullible than fudley's caricature of a parapsychologist.

Although I'm pretty damn sure that psi is not real, I cannot claim
Randi's unclaimed prize as support. Randi has crossed the line in his
attempts to promote public disbelief in parapsychology:

Randi is not an unbiased tester. I do not think anyone could claim
Randi's prize even if they had medium-effect real psi. If they can
levitate Randi, they *might* be able to claim the prize regardless - but
apparently Randi is *not* cooperative with wannabe prize claimants,
perhaps because they are presumed to be bad guys.

CSICOP is a committee for skeptical investigation, not a committee for
scientific investigation, no matter what they claim in the acronym. You
can't be both; you have to choose one or the other. Good guys are
rightly held to higher standards than bad guys, and CSICOP doesn't pass.