Re: testing psi

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 14:10:58 MST

How is "having a modality at all to make sense of all of this" weird in any way. It is the only thing we can be 100% sure of, that our own consciousness is real. The ONLY thing. The fact that psi cannot be reproduced using pseudo-random # generators proves we are not psychic. Consciousness is an EM phenomenom. So is a RNG. This is more weird than believing in ghosts (which I assume is your explanation. If not, what is?)? David, I have just told you what psi is. Why can't this thread die?
    I was supposed to be reading about crystal formation patterns and carbon nanotube defect densities last night. Instead I spent a few hours "researching" psi. I figure it out and you tell me my explanation is too weird? You know whats really weird? Cosmology. Particle streams emitted by stellar and other cosmic bodies. EM brain waves. Electrical surges. Earth's magnetic field. All too weird to be true I guess. And consciousness? A figment of our "unconsciousness imaginations" I guess. Someone refute my hypothesis plz. It is the most reasonable explanation of psi.

David Picon Alvarez <eleuteri@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Could it be that consciousness is an electrical phenomenom subject to
the same local-to-earth outside influences (cosmic particles affecting earth
or human body EM fields?) that are very quietly influencing the Random
Number Generators? This seems much more likely than positing psychic powers
and steamrolling General Relativity and/or Quantum Mechanics. No
procognition. But your mind can sense to some limited degree, a solar storm
or a distant past supernovae explosion. Neat.

This would be just as weird and implausible. Generating a number is not
merely a matter of reading a physical magnitude, it requires a degree of
interpretation. For example, to generate numbers from sound you might encode
it as frequency or amplitude, this encoding requires units of reference, of
time, energy, etc. Believing that the mind and the RNG in question, even
when primed from the same source of randomness, would lead to the same
results is highly suspect. Having a modality at all to make sense of those
random data is already weird enough, having one which coincides with the
RNG's is weirder.