Re: testing psi.

From: Jeff Medina (analyticphilosophy@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 15:57:36 MST

On 1/4/06, Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:25:04PM -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure I'm nearly as smart and cynical as you are, in
> > general; Loosemore and I both have Ph.D.s in academic disciplines,
> > which speaks to the latter claim if not the former. :)
>
> Surely you meant that the other way around?!
>
> If you would like me to research a few examples of people with
> Utterly Crazy Beliefs (i.e. not sufficiently cynical people) with
> Ph.D.s in academic disciplines, I don't think it'd take me very
> long.

Since he said "speaks to" rather than "entails", providing examples of
the alternative case does not undermine his claim. As long as people
with PhDs are the tiniest bit more likely to be sufficiently cynical
than those who do not obtain PhDs, that Damien has a PhD speaks to the
claim that Damien is sufficiently cynical.

--
Jeff Medina
http://www.painfullyclear.com/