Re: Everything I know is wrong

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 21:20:13 MST

Damien Broderick wrote:
> It's almost as if experts aren't open-minded on some topics.

"An open mind is a great place for other people to dump their garbage."
        -- Rev. Rock, Church of the Subgenius

"The point of having an open mind is to make it up once in a while."
        -- Marcello Herreshoff

"We thus dispose of another false stereotype of rationality, that
rationality consists of being humble and modest and confessing
helplessness in the face of the unknown. That's just the cheater's way
out, assigning a 50% probability to all yes-or-no questions. Our scoring
rule encourages you to do better if you can. If you are ignorant,
confess your ignorance; if you are confident, confess your confidence.
We penalize you for being confident and wrong, but we also reward you
for being confident and right. That is the virtue of a proper scoring rule."
        -- http://yudkowsky.net/bayes/technical.html