Re: AI rights need to be implemented ASAP. But how?

From: Charles D Hixson (charleshixsn@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jan 14 2006 - 20:58:01 MST

I presume that sarcasm was intended. Delaying it a few decades seems the best
way to ensure a hard take-off scenario. In a way I think of the Singularity
as being rather like a steam boiler explosion...one doesn't want it to
happen, but the lower the pressure when you cause it, the less damage the
explosion will do.

OTOH, given our governments, perhaps any reasonably favorable Singularity will
be an improvement. (And I'm considering the Singularity protrayed by
Accelerando to be both slow take-off and relatively favorable.) Many people
lived through the event, and our governments have frequently caused me to
wonder how long this will be true. Still, a hard take-off strikes me as
rather undesirable.