Human extinction

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 08:58:04 MST

At 01:02 AM 1/16/2006 -0500, fudley (John K Clark) wrote:

snip

>Shit happens. One way or another the human race as we know it will
>become extinct sometime during this century, probably in the first half.

Reasoning by analogy is always suspect, but consider the efforts we now
make to prevent black footed ferrets from going extinct.

We have an interest in what gave rise to us hundreds of millions or even
billions of years ago.

I think there is a good chance for a (possibly deathless) human population
crash to 1% or less in the next 50 years.

During the crash, I can imagine responsible people (or whatever they morph
into) wanting to save (mothball in diamond perhaps) the cultural artifacts,
up to and including whole cities. Most farmland will either be reverted to
wilderness or revert naturally.

In an environment where the pull of whatever had cause the crash still
existed, how would you keep up a human (meat body in the physical world)
population of even 60 million if a remnant human population was seen to be
desirable? (Like saving the ferrets from extinction but worse.)

Keith Henson