Re: Supporting civilization

From: Dani Eder (danielravennest@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 04:34:32 MST

Kieth said:

> Without *serious* physical support from AIs or
> similar level automation it
> would rapidly become very hard to live in the
> physical world in any
> comfort.

High levels of automation are already occurring.
Manufacturing
productivity has doubled in 13 years:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/prod2.t04.htm

John Deere is developing robotic farm tractors:

http://www.deere.com/en_US/careers/midcareer_jobs/field_robotics.html

If we have a couple of decades before people disappear
'down the rabbit hole', then the physical
infrastructure
will be able to support us. Besides, what's to
prevent
people from managing the world from inside the
simulation?
Heck, some people play games now that simulate
managing
a civilization. I would expect some people would enjoy
running the real world even if they live in a sim.

Daniel