Re: 3 "Real" Conscious Machines [WAS Re: Singularity: A rock 'em, shock'em ending soon?]

From: Robin Lee Powell (rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 15:35:19 MST

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 05:21:47PM -0500, Woody Long wrote:
> Precisely. And that is why I have proposed the Searle Chinese Room
> Test for machine consciousness. The CPU must "understand" the
> incoming Chinese talk it is translating into English, and the
> resulting English, in the same way humans do, where this is taken
> to mean "as it is received by human level consciousness." Then
> (and only then) it can be called for all intents and purposes a
> conscious machine. This cannot be accomplished by a thermostat
> consciousness, or primitive feedback loop, or by a Parakeet
> consciousness, which can memorize and parrot responses to incoming
> words, but has no actual understanding of their meaning. Only a
> luman level machine consciousness can actually understand the
> meaning like human level consciousness can, and so, we have an
> authentic conscious machine. So this is the level of consciousness
> I am talking about, and is true human level consciousness, called
> machine consciousness (MC). So my first response to you: Do you
> accept this general formulation and test for machine
> consciousness?

I'm not Loosemoore (sp?), but yes, I accept the Turing Test and its
variants, including this one, as an acceptable test of conciousness.

> If so you will conclude that my droids are in fact conscious
> machines,

Nope. Not until I talk to one. Until then, you're just A Crazy
Person.

-Robin

Reason #237 To Learn Lojban: "Homonyms: Their Grate!"
Proud Supporter of the Singularity Institute - http://intelligence.org/