Resistance to uploading

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 19:00:35 MST

For the past month I've been uploading... books.
I'm scanning my books into PDFs so that I can take
them with me everywhere. I have to destroy the
physical books to do this.

About half of the few people I've talked to about
this are vigorously opposed to the idea. They
insist that an electronic text can never be the
same as a paper one. They feel something like
horror when thinking of the books chopped up.

The fact that uploading BOOKS is still controversial
shows how far we have to go...

BTW, here's a quick shock level test on uploading:

Shock Level 1: The people in the Matrix were living
     in a simulation!

Shock Level 2: WE might be living in a simulation!

Shock Level 3: Statistically speaking, we probably
     ARE living in a simulation!

Shock Level 4: So what?