Re: 3 "Real" Conscious Machines

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Wed Jan 18 2006 - 08:48:43 MST

Phil Goetz wrote:
> --- Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:
>

>>1) Give an introduction to Heim's theory of quantum gravity, in
>>sufficient detail to allow a Physics graduate to understand it.
>>
>>2) You are living in a hovel in northern England some time in the
>>Dark
>>Ages, and when you open your door and look outside one morning, you
>>hear
>>a fragment of a T.S. Eliot poem come to you (suitably translated into
>>
>>your vernacular) through a time warp. You smile with recognition.
>>Explain why you smiled, what you heard and what the context is.
>>
>>3) Might Igor Stravinsky have had any opinion on the subject of motor
>>
>>scooters? Why?
>

> Most (e.g., > 99.9%) humans would fail this test.

Agreed, but that is fine: it is not a Turing test, it is a test based
on the extravagant claims made by Woody Long, Rick Geniale Enterprises
Corp. and Machine Consciousness Inc.

My understanding of their claims is that their systems are full-up AGIs
with greater (or at least faster) than human intelligence. being
machines, they should also be closely coupled to the internet and able
to do research much more efficiently than we can.

I will concede that the real-time questions should be just as subtle,
but not involve assumptions about lengthy research in difficult areas.

More importantly: I want to know if Woody and the other two will say
that they expect their systems to be able to take the test.

What about it Woody?

Richard Loosemore.