Re: No More Searle Please

From: micah glasser (micahglasser@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 00:10:31 MST

1. Do you think that there is some kind of test for
consciousness?...consciousness is first person and subjective therefor there
can be no objective, i.e verifiable, test for its existence.

2. Searle is not arguing for any kind of test. He attempts to show that even
if a universal Turing machine (be it digital or otherwise) were able to pass
a Turing test of sorts, it is still not a human level intelligence (because
it lacks 'understanding') with the implication that no UTM is capable of
human level intelligence.
The problem with this argument is that, a. Searle is correct that the kinds
of programs being critiqued are not capable of intelligence. b. there is no
computer program that can even come close to passing a Turing test when
there is not a superficial list of possible responses. > It does not follow
that if a UTM can pass a Turing test then it is not intelligent.
Turing's test still stands. Any machine that can pass a Turing test will
have human level intelligence and human level intelligence of this kind is
indistinguishable from the intelligence of a human being - whether that
human being is a zombie or not.

3. If I have interpreted you correctly then it appears that you are
profoundly confused, but perhaps I am the confused one and I have merely
misunderstood you.

--
I swear upon the alter of God, eternal hostility to every form of tyranny
over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson