Re: Hyper Drive

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 19 2006 - 07:46:21 MST

--- micah glasser <micahglasser@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if warp drive is considered sl4 technology or if it has
> already
> been discussed so if it has been then just disregard this. Having
> said that
> what I am interested to know is what any one on this list may think
> about
> the recent controversy and publicity concerning the paper which won
> an award
> and makes claims for the possibility of an anti-gravity hyperdrive
> engine (see
> this

article<http://www.newscientistspace.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html>).

It's certainly interesting. A theory proposed in 1957 that can
calculate the masses of fundamental particles more accurately than the
standard model, but that never gained acceptance because the math was
too hard, and because the author, a nearly-blind and nearly-deaf man
with no hands raised during the Nazi era, refused to write in English
and did not want anyone other than Germany to develop the hyper-drive.
If a movie had that plot, I'd say it was too unrealistic.