Re: Dynamic ethics

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 12:33:59 MST

The raping-to-death of a million children has never been discussed on sl4 before....
  My favourite post-singularity tradeoff analysis involves possibly harnessing an infinite-in-duration energy source that comes with a risk of "breaking" the universe and causing our extinction.

  My guess is post-singularity you will have the option to choose who is in close enough proximity to murder you. Environment monitoring doesn't necessarily mean survellience. An anti-matter bomb sniffer doesn't necessarily need to be able to monitor your phone calls.

Kevin Osborne <kevin.osborne@gmail.com> wrote:
  Perhaps someone can point me to archive discussions that deal with
further questions that this raises, such as:
<SNIP>
- surely one obvious option is that we are all monitored and directed
for the 'greater good'? In the liberty-scales of this decision, does
the raping-to-death of one child outweigh the outlawing of
risk-creating freedoms of the rest of the populace? how about a
thousand children? a million?

Yahoo! Photos