Re: My definitions of Intelligence, Consciousness, Mathematics and Universal Values

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sat Jan 21 2006 - 08:04:34 MST

Marc,

Although your wording is awkward it is possible you have a real insight here.

The relationship between mathematics and reality is of course a subtle
one. "Consistency" is a concept that applies to mathematical systems
not to "realities".

There are multiple mathematical systems that are inconsistent with
each other. It is possible that the optimal (in some pragmatic sense)
model of physical (or subjective) reality could involve using
different, mutually inconsistent, mathematical systems to model
different aspects of reality.

However, I see no reason to believe that this is the case, although I
recognize it as a theoretical possibility.

-- Ben