Re: Why invest in AGI?

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 19:18:02 MST

There is only one problem with your story: I very much fear that it is
not true that if we got brain-power hardware, we would get an AI.

If you gave Microsoft a set of four Blue Gene-L machines, they *still*
would not be able to deliver a bug-free version of Word any time in the
next century.

We probably have the hardware power right now. What we lack are the
right theoretical approach and software techniques. More particularly,
I think we lack the right software-construction tools.

You might respond that it does neverthless make a compact story to give
to an investor: I'm not sure, though, because I think they know,
intuitively, that it has a false ring to it.

Richard Loosemore.