Re: My definitions of Intelligence, Consciousness, Mathematics and Universal Values

From: Marc Geddes (m_j_geddes@yahoo.com.au)
Date: Sun Jan 22 2006 - 20:38:00 MST

--- Philip Goetz <philgoetz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/21/06, Marc Geddes <m_j_geddes@yahoo.com.au>
> wrote:
> >
> > Let's just say that that I see no reason why
> reality
> > should be 100% consistent (in mathematical terms).
> > Suppose mathematics was not in fact the single
> unitary
> > thing that mathematicians think it is? Suppose
> that
> > there are in fact several different kinds of
> > mathematics needed to fully capture reality
> > ('dualities' is the technical term) and the
> different
> > kinds of math are not totally consistent with each
> > other?
>
> Um... the fact that math works, and it has for
> thousands of years, and
> if it were as you suggest, math in the world would
> be inconsistent and
> not work. 2+2=4, not 5.
>
> Suppose you take the world of people who understand
> math better than you do?
> Suppose you refrain from pestering SL4 with ideas
> that you know are
> not welcome here?
>
> - Phil

Ben Goertzel's the math whiz here. He just
acknowledged my idea was a theoretical possibility.

And by the way, my own understanding of math is
actually quite reasonable (studied math at Auckland
University).

A math system doesn't have to be 100% consistent to
work, just highly consistent. For instance there's no
reason to believe that the human brain runs on a
formal system which is 100% consistent, yet obviously
we all still get along in the world quite well. The
same could be true of reality itself. Just suggesting
an intriguing possibility.

"Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last day”