Re: physical pain is bad (was Re: Dynamic ethics)

From: Michael Roy Ames (michaelroyames@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 13:47:01 MST

Phillip,

I deny this thread's subject, the contention that physical pain is bad.
Humans frequently (but not always) dislike physical pain, it is true, and
often try to avoid it. However most intelligent humans, both today and in
the past, have considered physical pain to be neither bad nor good in and of
itself. The situational context surrounding the experience of pain must
always be taken into account before one can make a moral judgment about the
goodness or badness of it. I take it as a given that moral judgments are,
and must be made by humans, as to cede moral decisions to the capabilities
(real or imagined) of other species would be to fail in our moral
responsibility as the species with overwhelming power on this planet.

In regards to your implication that physical pain should be eliminated from
earth's biosphere for certain species (mammals?), I strongly doubt that you
will find much support for this idea. The value humans place on preserving
Earth's ecosystems intact is currently quite high, and continues to rise
with our increasing awareness of our destructive effects on various
ecosystems and the need for a healthy biosphere in order to survive. There
is also the considerations of preserving ecosystems for future study (with
better technology), for future generations, and as simple resources should
we experience societal collapse. There is nothing to gain from the
anthropomorphic extension of human morality toward controlling the day to
day life experience of wild animals, neither for the animals nor for
ourselves. The suffering of wild animals is not a problem that requires a
solution. The obliteration of ecosystems along with the attendant loss of
knowledge, of biodiversity, and of the beauty we see in them *is* a real and
pressing problem. The Singularity could resolve this through making
preservation much easier by resolving many of the human issues that lead to
ecosystem destruction, and giving us ready alternatives to that destruction.

Michael Roy Ames