Re: My definitions of Intelligence, Consciousness, Mathematics and Universal Values

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 19:05:21 MST

Marc,

I disagree with much of what you say in this thread, but I find that
your suggestion ties in interestingly with a prior thread on this
list, on Subjective Reality.

Firstly, I think it is probably a non sequitur to say that the
universe is a formal system. I find it more sensible to consider
formal systems as approximate and partial models of the universe.

So, in my view, the universe is neither consistent nor inconsistent,
any more than a brick is either consistent or inconsistent. There may
be mutually consistent or mutually inconsistent models of the
universe, or of a brick.

The question you have raised, in this perspective, is whether the
"best" (in some useful sense) way of understanding the universe
involves constructing multiple mutually logically inconsistent models
of the universe. You have suggested that this might be the case but
have (IMO) not presented any solid arguments in favor of your
contention.

An alternative philosophical perspective is that, though the universe
is not in itself a formal system, the "best" way of understanding it
involves constructing more and more comprehensive and sophisticated
consistent formal systems, each one capturing more aspects of the
universe than the previous. This is fairly close to being a
rephrasing of Charles S. Peirce's philosophy of science.

It seems nice to refer to these two perspectives as Inconsistent
versus Consistentist views of the universe. (Being clear however that
the inconsistency and consistency refer to models of the universe
rather than the universe itself.)

Potentially the Inconsistentist perspective ties in with a previous
thread on this list regarding the notion of Subjective Reality. It
could be that, properly formalized, the two models

A) The universe is fundamentally subjective, and the apparently
objective world is constructed out of a mind's experience

B) The universe is fundamentally objective and physical, and the
apparently subjective world is constructed out of physical structures
and dynamics

could be viewed as two

* individually logically consistent
* mutually logically inconsistent
* separately useful

models of the universe. If so, this would be a concrete argument in
favor of the Inconsistentist philosophical perspective.

-- Ben Goertzel