Re: Identity and becoming a Great Old One

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 26 2006 - 15:41:52 MST

Yes this would be proof uploading works and consciousness is merely computational. I would then get my own Phil-mind lego set and build me.

Russell Wallace <russell.wallace@gmail.com> wrote: None of the views are perfectly falsifiable. That is a function of consciousness not uploading procedures. I would book up on physics for a few years and then question the engineers of the upload machine. If they could describe an actual physical process where the chemical, EM, and computational features of brains are ported and p! reserved in the new substrate, I would be satisfied with that.

What if they said "no, we preserve the computational features only, the chemical and electromagnetic features are deliberately discarded as irrelevant to consciousness" and the uploaded person said "yeah, and I'm still conscious so that proves they're right"?