Re: Identity and becoming a Great Old One

From: Michael Clark (mike.michaeljc@gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 27 2006 - 18:38:36 MST

I question wether significant personal survival is possible (to the
present us), the thread view has the problem of sleep, and the pattern
view has the problem of change. Self awareness may just be an illusion, an
evolved mechanism for conventional situations. I wonder how our sense of
self awareness would have evolved if duplication, merging, transfer etc
were in our environment.

Yes a loop where you change is what I meant, since we're vectors, not
points. If change is bad, I would think we should take it to it's logical
extreme (perhaps from birth to now looped, or a day).

> "Perfect" and "utopia" are rather vague concepts, I think I'd need to
> see a
> more detailed proposal for one before I could really comment on it.
A niven scenario, that would be fun! That is a fairly static society.