Re: Syllabus for Seed Developer Qualifications [WAS Re: Some considerations about AGI]

From: Marieke Willis (luuknam@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 29 2006 - 19:59:12 MST

> Marieke:
>> I'd rather teach a brilliant person math/programming than teach them
>> how to communicate, self-control, emotional stability, etc.

Russell:
> That only works if the person is willing to do what it takes to learn
> math/programming. If you find someone who has communication ability,
> self-control, emotional stability etc, that usually implies they've
> had more
> common sense than to spend years of their lives sitting in a basement
> staring at a computer screen; and if they weren't willing to do that
> before, they're probably not willing to do it now.

And vice versa. Difference is that math and programming are a lot
easier to learn than all that (inter)personal stuff, provided the
person is sufficiently bright, of course. Just the person realizing
that (inter)personal skills are extremely important in having the
project succeed would be a good start already. Too many geniuses lack
that awareness though.

Marieke